Friday, October 16, 2015

MRI apparently stands for "Miserable, Restrictive, and Irritating"

As many of you know Ezekiel had his fetal MRI yesterday, which means this mama was stuck in the science fiction-like human scanner for 25 minutes. If you've never had an MRI, especially having an MRI while 25 weeks pregnant, you're probably thinking: "25 minutes. That's not a big deal. Come on, Amber. Stop exaggerating with the whole 'Miserable, Restrictive, and Irritating' title."

No, I am for real.

Miserable - The small cot that they slide you into the white tube on had about an inch worth of padding, which would've been fine but......
If you've never been pregnant, let me fill you in on a little something: LAYING ON YOUR BACK IS THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE POSITION EVER (well, I suppose flat on your stomach could be worse... so maybe I should look at the bright side!)

Restrictive - They literally strap you to the cot! I could not move my arms at all, and was kind of scared to move anything really. Before you have the MRI, you have to sign this super long sheet of paper that asks whether or not you've ever had any type of metal in your body (from eye penile--whatever THAT is-- to tattooed eye make-up). I was literally praying while in the machine that I did not have some foreign metal in my body that I was unaware of. I could just picture something ripping out of my body mid-MRI and magnetizing to the inside of the tube. Over-dramatic much?

Irritating - I was very thankful they gave me earphones because that machine sounds like it's about to take off or blow up. Not only that, but there is nothing to look at while inside. I saw where someone or something scraped the paint off on the inside and kept staring at it for 25 minutes thinking... "Surely, it's been at least 5 minutes right?" I think I will invent some sort of plastic television screen that wouldn't interfere with the scan to place on the inside or some kind of TV goggles to let people watch a movie while they are laying their restricted and bored for half an hour.

Okay, so that was really over-dramatic. I have my moments. It really wasn't that bad. I had a few moments where my anxiety was about to get the best of me, but I just started quoting Scripture and breathing deep. God was good to me. We will find out the results of the MRI in the next week or so. I will meet with the neurosurgeon, Dr. Shiflett, on November 9th.

I met with the doctor at the Maternal/Fetal Medicine department at UMMC before going over to have my MRI. They did another sonogram to check him out and said he is developing perfectly. He weighs approximately 1lb 15oz so far and right on track. They mentioned that he was breech but I'm pretty sure after that MRI he had flipped because he was moving like a mad man in that machine! (Hopefully the technicians were able to get the images they need with a squirm-er like him!)

I guess an upside to having a baby with a medical defect is you get lots and lots of pictures! :)


1 comment: