Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Nesting, Test Results, and a Family Photoshoot

My rainy today consisted of cleaning up pee all over the kitchen floor and carpets (I have 10 weeks to potty train Abigail. Yikes.) and nesting in the form of moving the crib out of Abigail's room and into our room. I can't believe I'll be full-term in 10 weeks. 10 WEEKS!!




____________________________

So.. I received an email this weekend that a new test result had shown up in my UMMC chart online. I quickly checked to see and it was, in fact, my MRI test results! I opened up the results to see nothing but a whole bunch of medical jargon that meant absolutely nothing to me. There were literally like 2-3 words that I understood: such as cleft palate. I think I will mention to the hospital that they should have a TRANSLATE button at the bottom of all medical test results/diagnosis in order for this important information to be quickly and easily translated into terms we lay-people can understand. :) 

Let's see how your medical jargon translator works:

"There is a mild prominence of the supratentorial ventricular system with trans-atrial measurement on left side measuring 1.3 cm and on the right side measuring 1.2 cm. No transpendymal flow of CSF is noted. There appears to be dysgenesis of corpus callosum with evidence of colpocephaly. Posterior fossa is seen with evidence of warp around cerebellum. There is herniation of the cerebellar tonsils through the foramen magnum. There is no evidence of intracranial hemorrhage. No acute infarct is seen. No encephaloceles are noted. Nuchal fold thickness is unremarkable. Globes are intact with normally located senses. No cleft palate/cleft lip is seen with normal appearing bilateral nostrils. There is a large spinal dysraphic defect involving lower lumbar and upper sacral spine with defect measuring 21.3 mm in craniocaudad dimension and 11.7-mm in maxium transverse dimension. Well-circumscribed T2 hyperintense collection is seen overlying the spinal dysraphic defect with linear soft tissue density likely representing a nerve root noted along the superior aspect of the defect. Conus medullaris appears to be normal. IMPRESSION: Mild ventriculomegaly with dysgensis of corpus callosum and small posterior fossa with herniation of the cerebellar tonsils. Spinal dysraphic defect involving lower lumbar and upper sacral spine with evidence of meningomyeloele which measures 2.1 cm in carniocaudad dimension. Findings are consistent with diagnosis of Arnold-Chiari II malformation."

I've learned pretty quickly in having a child with a medical defect that GOOGLE IS YOUR WORST ENEMY but online community groups, specifically for mothers of children with a certain disability or medical issue, are INVALUABLE. So I copied and pasted the jargon on a few social media sites and within minutes I received feedback like: 

"In my opinion, it says all normal for a baby with SB!! Big takeaways: lower lumbar/sacral lesion (this is good!). slight signs of hydro (normal for SB). Arnold-Chiari II malformation (normal for SB)"

"A very typical case of Spina bifida with nothing at all alarming or out of the ordinary."

"Sound pretty normal and actually pretty good for SB."

My Maternal/Fetal Medicine doctor had mentioned during the ultrasounds that he could not find the corpus callosum (part of the brain that sends signals from left to right). They agreed in the MRI that Ezekiel is missing all or some parts of this part of his brain. I have heard from other parents of children with SB that this could be completely asymptomatic or could cause problems with vision, hearing, motor skills, swallowing, gaining weight, etc. That is what is so crazy about Spina bifida... no two children (even with the exact same diagnosis) have the same outward symptoms when born! Hence why they call SB the "Snowflake Defect." ... And hence why I have never felt SO KNOWLEDGEABLE yet SO UNPREPARED for something in my entire life!
But my feeling of unpreparedness is actually a blessing because it reminds me that everything is out of my control. It helps me surrender EVERYTHING about this child to God! Ezekiel is HIS CHILD anyway!

______________________

We went to Texas this weekend and had a family photo shoot in our "God Doesn't Make Mistakes" shirts. I feel so blessed to have such a supportive and encouraging family and group of friends in all of this! Don't know what I would do without any of you!







Shirts are still available to order through November 8th! www.booster.com/Goddoesntmakemistakes


2 comments:

  1. It all just reminds me how immensely and immeasurably we are blessed to be called children of God. He is good, and His ways are right. A verse that is in my heart that always helps me have a true perspective on life is found in Psalm 145: The Lord is RIGHTEOUS in ALL His ways, and KIND in ALL His deeds. In other words, He is always right in what He does - He doesn't make mistakes! And His deeds are out of a heart of love and kindness toward us. I cannot wait to see Him show off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, great family, great message, Great God!
    Hopefully we'll be seeing you in a week or so. Currently stirring the pot in Tennessee for Lesser Magistrate defiance of SCOTUS as the TN legislature is positioned to interpose defying Obergfell v Hodges. Pray for our success and God's ultimate glory! Chet and JoAnn

    ReplyDelete