Thursday, August 7, 2014

It's Flesh. You're Changing.

Just watched this youtube video: David Wilkerson "You're Changing"

I've got so many thoughts rummaging around in my head that I don't know where to start. This blog post may not be cohesive unless by the end I can find some glue to stick all these thoughts together.

First, I have to thank God. He has transformed my heart and mind the past couple of weeks in ways that I never could have on my own accord. See, my absolute favorite pastime my whole life has been watching television. I would sit and watch episode after episode of a series on Netflix until I had watched them all and then move onto a different series. Right after I married Keith I'd religiously watch shows like The Office, Parks & Recreation, and Parenthood. About a year ago, God started convicted me about those shows. Although most of the Christian world finds no problem with those shows, God began to reveal to me that juxtaposing the content of those shows with the Word of God did NOT line up. I put away those particular shows and instead started watching shows like Shark Tank, American Pickers, and the Biggest Loser. However, ever since Keith, the kids, and I came back from the Operation Save America trip in New Orleans, my desires have completely shifted. Now, instead of trying to justify what worldly-ness I allow to enter my life, I only desire to watch or listen to things that will benefit my spirit. Instead of gauging a show for whether or not it will influence my spiritual life negatively and then deciding whether or not to watch it, I only ask myself one question: "Will watching/listening to this build me up spiritually?" I know it's only by the power and conviction of the Holy Spirit when watching an episode of Full House gives me no pleasure and actually disgusts me in a way.

To what and Whom do I owe this new Amber? Well, I've made it plainly clear it's ALL God. I also believe it can be attributed to ministering on the frontlines of the abortion battlefield. Want to have zero desire to have even a hint of sin in your life? Start publicly preaching the Word of God and exposing sin in the world. 

What have I been doing with all this time in my day that has been freed from worldly TV shows, you may ask? READING GOD'S WORD, LISTENING TO SERMONS ON YOUTUBE, AND PRAISE MUSIC ON PANDORA. :)

And let me tell you something as a result....
God has made His Word COME ALIVE to me like never before.

Some revelations from my readings this week:

Pastor Bret spoke to the youth last night on John 10 - it's Jesus' parable about Him being the sheep gate and the Shepherd. I encourage you to read the whole chapter. There is a lot of meat in that passage that can definitely fill your spiritual belly!
John 10:1-3 "I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out."

How, as sheep, can we tell who are the robbers and thieves among us?

1. Robbers and thieves have not entered through the gate (Jesus Christ).
2. Robbers and thieves do not listen to the voice of the Shepherd, therefore are never led out to follow the Shepherd.

That hit me like a ton of bricks on Wednesday night as Bret was talking on this passage. The thieves and robbers among God's sheep are the ones who stay stagnant in the pen and never go out to do the Lord's work! Hear Jesus' voice today and follow, sheep!

__________________

Something else from this passage that stuck out to me is that in verse 20 (talking of Jesus) it says: "Many of them said, "He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?"

Wow. People called JESUS demon-possessed.

Okay, many of you know my husband. You probably saw him being lambasted on his Facebook page recently by one of his friends. His friend proceeded to say that my husband spits poison everywhere he goes, has fallen from his Christianity, and is possessed by demons.
You can only imagine, as Keith's wife, how livid this made me. Attack me personally and I'll work through it, but you attack MY husband and it's on like Donkey Kong.
Not to mention that I, his wife, know that all that this friend said about him for the whole world to see is a LIE because I am the one who ministers with him daily, sees him weeping for lost souls he meets in WalMart, and willingly devoting his entire being to His Creator. That being said, it's good to know that my husband is in good company (Jesus' company to be exact) when being called "demon-possessed."

_________________

My daily Bible reading today was in Proverbs. As you know, much of the book of Proverbs is written by Solomon. God asked Solomon what he wanted from Him. Solomon asks for wisdom. Ever wondered how Solomon knew to ask for wisdom?

Proverbs 4:3-9
"When I was a boy in my father's house,
still tender, and an only child of my mother,
he taught me and said,
'Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
keep my commands and you will live.
Get wisdom, get
understanding;
do not forget my words or swerve from them.
Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.
Wisdom is supreme, therefore
get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
Esteem her, and she will exalt you;
embrace her, and she will honor you.
She will set a garland of grace on your head
and present you with a crown of splendor."

WOW. Solomon's father (David) had taught him as a boy the importance and value of wisdom. This Truth reiterates what the Bible speaks of over and over again: the importance of instilling Truth in our children!

Praise God for the goodness of His Word.


No comments:

Post a Comment